School SEND Offer
At Akaal Primary School, we have a very strong inclusive ethos, and ensure that all pupils regardless of learning ability or physical disability are fully included in all of the school’s wide range of activities.
What is Our Local Offer?
Akaal Primary School’s local offer sets out what we provide for our pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities throughout their time with us. It explains how we support them on to the next stage of their education.
Our SEND policy gives more detail about our day to day procedures (available on the school website and as a hard copy from the school office). Derby City Council also publishes on its website a Local Authority Offer.
This sets out a wide range of information about specialist services, schools, colleges and organisations that can provide support and information for families of children and young people with SEND. You will also find information about:
- Where to go for advice and guidance on SEN and Disability matters.
- Support for parents and carers.
- Health and care services.
- What’s on in the local area.
The Purpose of Our Local Offer
The purpose of our "Local Offer" is to inform you about:
- How we welcome, support and make effective provision for children with special educational needs and disabilities.
- How we support them in all aspects of school life and achievement.
- How we work in close partnership with parents, carers and children.
- How we make effective provision for all of our children including those with special educational needs and disabilities.
Keeping Our Local Offer Under Review
We will keep our Local Offer under review by asking parents and children what is working well and what they want to improve.
The next review date for our Local Offer is July 2021.
Our vision is that all children leave Akaal ready for the next stage in their learning and are able to make the most of the opportunities that lie ahead.
As well as a firm foundation in reading, writing and mathematics, they will have a broad and deep knowledge and understanding of the wider curriculum.
Throughout the school, children will develop confidence and feel able to ask questions. As learners, they will be able to evaluate and reflect on their own style of learning. They will be able to identify and use the most effective strategies that will enable them to rise to any challenge.
They will have a sense of responsibility as global citizens, and will be curious about the world around them. They will use both Sikh and British values to achieve this.
Children will be physically, mentally and emotionally healthy and able to make informed choices and build positive relationships.
They will be ambitious, with an awareness of their own goals, and a strong sense of possibility.
What Akaal Primary School Values
- We welcome difference and diversity – learning from and about diversity strengthens our community.
- We value, respect and celebrate the achievements of ALL children.
- We have high expectations for our pupil’s social, emotional and academic development.
- We value and respect parents and carers because they are the first educators of their child and we will always involve them in the planning and reviewing of their child’s progress.
- We know that the earlier we provide support for children with special educational needs and disabilities the more successful they will be.
- We aim to develop high levels of self-esteem and confidence in all of our children so they view themselves as successful, independent learners.
- We welcome and respect all members of the school community and value everyone equally.
- We aim to promote justice, fairness and equality in all areas of school life.
- We will provide support and resources for children to be the best possible learners that they can be.
- We make sure that staff has the knowledge and skills to support all children in our school.